Saturday, February 12, 2005

Boats and helicopters

My summer holiday is now semi-booked ie we've booked the main course, but not the flights and additional hotels etc. As I mentioned last week, myself and two friends are going to be heading over to America's Grand Canyon and sailing down it in a little rubber raft. Or something. Whilst boats and sleeping under the stars and rivers and all that are all well and good, the most exciting part will be right at the end. Because that's when we get to go in a helicopter!

I've never been in a helicopter before, but I've always thought that it'd be a pretty cool thing to do as long as it didn't crash like they always seem to do in films. I am aware of the basic safety tips that should be followed:

- Don't jump up and down whilst entering and leaving the helicopter (if possible, duck your head at all times)
- Don't touch the main rotator blades whilst they are in motion...
- ... or the little one at the back
- Don't tickle the helicopter driver
- Keep all bags out of the aisle so that the waitress can push her trolley along safely and easily
- No heavy petting

So if I follow those rules I should be ok.

I can't help thinking that we could save a lot of time by just getting a helicopter down to the far end in the first place, and not bothering with all this boat nonsense, where there is after all a fair chance that we'll get wet. But I guess as with life, it's all about the journey rather than the destination, which with life is always ultimately death. Cheery!

No comments: