Saturday, February 05, 2005

Dog eat dog

I looked out of my bedroom window earlier today to see quite a sight. There was a crowd of people (well, maybe six) over the other side of the road and they were doing a bit of shouting and arguing. It was this noise that initially caught my attention. On closer inspection, there were two dogs in the middle of the people. Both dogs were smallish, one looked niceish and one looked a bit mean. Initially I thought that the two dogs were making mad doggy love, right there out in the street. On even closer inspection, I realised that this was not what was happening.

Nasty Dog had bitten Nice Dog's tail, right the way down to the bottom and may have even had its teeth right in Nice Dog's rump. And he really didn't want to let go. Several people were trying to get him off, including a man in gardening gloves. But Nasty Dog wouldn't let go - I was watching for about a minute or so and eventually the dogs were separated.

A middle aged lady who I took to be Nice Dog's owner was crying and quickly came to pick up the injured dog. She then took him off somewhere. Hopefully to get medical attention. And then Nasty Dog was also led away, and I was able to hear phrases like "Killed another dog" and "put down".

I didn't like Nasty Dog.

And that's about as much of this story as I am able to relate. I don't know what started the fight. They were probably arguing over a bitch they both fancied or something. Note that I'm allowed to say "bitch" there since I'm talking about dogs, not people. You shouldn't call them bitches bad names.

Later, on the way back from the local shop, I passed the middle aged lady, and she had Nice Dog with her. It seemed to be walking ok, but she still looked quite upset. But at least the dog was alive. Unless it was in fact dead and she'd stuck castors on its feet, so it was like one of those fake dogs that you have when you're a child. Maybe it was one of those all along, and she was a child who had dressed up as a middle aged lady...

I don't know the fate of Nasty Dog. I like to imagine that later today, a group of dogs dressed as policemen came and arrested him, to take back to the doggy police station for questioning, all the while waving their little doggy truncheons. But I don't think we have a doggy police force in York any more. The bears scared them all away.

No comments: