Friday, February 04, 2005

Snip snip snippety snip

It's time for what some have called... Snippets.

- Today is Hat Day at work. Everyone wears a hat. I believe that there was a national hat day to raise money for old people (like they don't have enough already!) but ours has two key differences: It is quite localised (with no more than ten people who are aware of it) and it is designed to raise absolutely no money for charity at all. Not a sausage. Incidentally, it was not my idea, though it was inspired by something I said about Royal Ascot.

- Despite it being only early February, plans have started to be made for this year's summer holiday. This is very early for me, and the only explanation I can offer is that all the organisation and investigation so far is being done by a friend, and I just have to say "yes" or "no" occasionally. And then if all goes well, pass him a cheque at some point. We're thinking of rafting down America's Grand Canyon and then heading over to Vegas for a brief while. And then going home due to having run out of money - more from the overall cost than the ill-conceived gambling.

- When I saw Athlete play live last year, they weren't hugely impressive. The album was also not fantastic, though it did have one or two decent songs on it. Their latest single, Wires however, is on whole different level. Mournful yet optimistic, evocative with a great sing-along tune. Possibly the best song to ever be written about a hospital (though I haven't thought too hard about that). It could be this year's Run.

- Does anyone else hate it when people call something "This year's [Insert thing here]? It's lazy.

- I got the letter yesterday which officially appoints me to my new role following last year's work restructuring. My favourite phrase is: "This appointment has been made on the basis that your new role is essentially the same as your current role". A negative person might interpret that as "We don't think you are capable of learning new skills or doing new things, so it's probably best if you just stay where you are and keep your nose down." I don't think it was meant that way :-)

End of snippets.

4 comments:

Agent 31 said...

There is nothing at all better than a snippet post. Nothing.

Vegas in the summer? You realize that its in a desert, right?

Lint said...

Desert? Is that like hot?

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll have already burnt off all my skin in America's Grand Canyon.

asyl076 said...

I would like to marry the word "snippets." It's the word of 2005. ha! haaaaaaaa. come on. that was funny. The reception's at 7. Be there or be square, y'all.

Tsuki said...

I haven't had my letter yet - unless it's waiting at work, in which case I'll not get it for 2 weeks. Not that I'd expect to get it any time near when the other teams do...