Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Light, converted to sound

Since the power cut on Sunday, there has been a problem. There is a light outside my front door, between my flat and the next flat. It's a ceiling light that used to emit sufficient light for me to do things like see where my lock is situated. After the powercut, this light... changed.

It used to emit light. Now it doesn't. It now emits a very loud buzzing noise. Loud to the extent that you can hear it in the bedroom. You can hear in in the living room. Last night I was in Norwich, and I kinda felt I could hear it there too. It is most annoying. Worst thing is that there is no Off Switch anywhere. The light seems to be hardwired into the National Grid.

If anyone can explain the physics behind this phenomenon to me, that would be grand. And if you have any ideas how to make the f***er shut up, that would be lovely too.

2 comments:

Chip said...

Most likely the starter motor got a bit of a power surge when the power went off - since fluorescent tubes are essentially big capacitors, they'll tend to do that.

See if you can see the little round dial on the side of the housing, and give it a twist. The light should come on and the buzzing go off. OF course, IIRC, you can't actually get to the housing of those lights...

Lint said...

It's not a flourescent long rectangular light - it's a round one. There are no controls on it, or near it. There is no off switch. There is no switch. It is a devil light.