Sunday, February 06, 2005

Challenge #3: DATE - Complete!

I had a semi-blind date last night (with a girl!). I say "semi" since I had spoken to her on the phone and via email several times over the last couple of weeks. But I hadn't actually seen her before. Meeting at the station was quite strange - I knew she'd recognise me easily enough from the photos on here, but all I really had to go on was a height. And girls are notoriously good at changing that by using heels.

Luckily, when her train arrived she spotted me straight away. And didn't run off. So that got the evening off to a good start.

We proceeded for a quick drink (or two) in a little pub - slightly strangely I chose one that I'd already been to this year so I wasn't able to increase my pub total. But since my chairs had arrived in the morning and I was currently on a date, I felt that sufficient Challenge progress was being made for one day.

I'd tried to book a nice restaurant like Burger King, but sadly it was fully booked. As was MacDonalds. So instead, we went to The Olive Tree, auspiciosuly situated in the shadow of Clifford's Tower. I think I promised to do a little research into the history of the tower, as I had forgotten what it was for. So here's the official website! However, just so that your mental picture of this evening is accurate, I used the phrase "in the shadow" there in a metaphorical way. It was night-time and dark and there was no sun to cast shadows upon a restuarant. I hope that's cleared that up.

Anyways, both the food and the company were excellent, and as we left later one of the waitresses was very very happy that we'd had a good time. I hope that this wasn't because everyone else that eats there normally has a miserable time and we were the first ever satisfied customers.

And by this time it was getting a bit late and it was time to head back to the train station.

Despite the failure to book Burger King, I had an excellent evening, and hopefully she enjoyed herself too. Hi there, you!

No comments: