Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Short Code Day

Today looks to be a bit special. According to my TV guide, there are a number of programmes on this evening with a VideoPlus code that is only 1 digit long. Hollyoaks (1830-1900, Channel 4: OB goes on a blind date!) has a code of 8. The ITV Evening News (1830-1900, ITV: Including the weather!) has a code of 6. And the code for Massive Nature (1930-2000, BBC2: Featuring Flamingos being attacked by baboons!) is just 4.

But beating all of them is Eastenders (1930-2000, BBC1: It's Zoe's 21st birthday!) which is encoded with just 2.

To my mind it's quite impressive to be able to encode all that information in just 2 bits. I have never really known how VideoPlus codes work and have never attempted to find out. I had wondered how short they could be though. I guess 1 digit is a minimum.

Isn't this interesting?!

1 comment:

Chip said...

I doubt you really care, but I think I've got an article on how it works on my PC at home. I collect such things - I've also got a list of airport TLAs, for some reason.