Monday, February 07, 2005

Five Pound Willy

Last night, I went to Fibbers to see Willy Mason. Since it was an acoustic gig, they were handing out little pieces of paper warning us to keep the noise down during the performance at the risk of being asked to leave. I'm guessing they were handing out pieces of paper rather than just telling us to be quiet, since it was quieter to do it that way. Do you still have to be quiet in libraries? Do Librarians still go "shhhh!" at every opportunity? I hope they do.

So what did we have... One young guy with a guitar. He's come all the way over here from the USA. I'm not sure whether he was sitting or standing because it was sold out and I was about halfway back, so I couldn't see his legs. See if you can decide:

Willy Mason

I think he might be standing, but he could just have a stool. And he sounded pretty good. Played most of the album (maybe all?) and a few older songs too. Oxygen seemed to be a curiously slightly truncated version.

I think he's still really young (like under 20) and he really is very talented for someone of that ilk. Most of us in the audience were probably old enough to be his older brother.

Unfortunately I've nearly run out of time for further excellently descriptive and evocative writing as it's time to go to work shortly. The support guy, Nathan Burton, was also solo acoustic and very good too. Sounded a bit like Ben from Ben & Jason, apart from one song near the end where he went a little Kelly Jones.

The title of this post is a joke because if the gig had been free it would have been Free Willy. Like that film with the whale. But it wasn't free, it was five English pounds.

No comments: