Sunday, October 02, 2005

Only last night I found myself lost...

London. Been there again. It's still big and smelly.

I wish they'd sort out Kings Cross tube station. They've been doing it up for what seems like years now. The ticket machines are still outside on the street, nowhere near the actual turnstiles. Obviously though I only realised this once I got to the turnstiles and so I then had to retrace my steps and look a bit lost.

The tube more generally seemed to be having a bad weekend. The Central Line was shut, there were no Circle/Met/Hammersmith line trains running through Kings Cross. I had to go a slightly circuitous route to get to Wapping. At least I got to go on the Jubilee Line which is cool because the stations are all made of shiny metal and it feels like you're in a space station.

I was down in London for Dan's 30th birthday. Ha ha, he's really old now. Not like me, the spring chicken. No. He's old and decrepit and it's a surprise that he can still walk under his own steam and that his teeth stay in at night.

Here's Dinner:

Dan's Birthday at Lilly's

We managed to get the bill to a whopping (or possibly Wapping) £1300. Though that was between 30 people rather than £1300 each. I'm not sure that even London has many places where you can spend a grand on a meal. Wine, possibly, but not food. I will however have to have a small complaint about the pre-meal drinks - £6.50 for a single glass of a cocktail is extortionate! For that price I want at least half a bottle of spirits served by a nymph. I didn't get that though. Disappointing, to say the least.

There's a good view over the river from Dan's flat though. If I'd been sensible enough to take my real camera rather than just my phone, I would have taken a better photo than this one:

Canary Wharf at Night

The glowy place is Canary Wharf. We went there for lunch today and it reminded me of Rome quite a lot. Not so much the architecture but the way that there are long lines of restaurants with loads of outside seating and parasols. I had spaghetti and meatballs and didn't spill any of it on me like normal!

No comments: