Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Comfort in 'Coasters

I've been to Alton Towers today. I went on lots of rides. Wahey and indeed, Wooh.

As I've got older I think I've started to rate rides and rollercoasters in a different way to how I used to when I was a youngster. Previously, it was all about speed, acceleration and Pure Thrills. The more adrenaline the better the ride.

Now what I'm mostly looking for in a ride is a comfortable seat. Don't care so much what the seat then actually does - upside down, inside out, fast and slow, slow and fast - as long as the seat I'm sitting on feels comfortable then I can be fairly sure I'll be happy. Specifically, what I want is a soft bit to actually sit on and a soft back and head rest to lean on. Ergonomic moulding is fine as long as it's not designed to fit physical freaks. And enough legroom to prevent me feeling I'll get cramp from having to sit in a strange position.

What I'm unable to do here is list the most comfortable rides because they all blend into one another after a bit and I find it hard to remember which chair was on which rollercoaster. But I think Nemesis is pretty comfy whilst The Flume Unplugged By Imperial Leather is not so comfy. It also has perhaps the worst name of any ride, ever.

I think I'd probably have as much fun in a sofa salesroom as a theme park. Especially if they provided me with a nice hot cup of tea.

No comments: