Thursday, October 06, 2005

Bleeding Hands

There are a lot of jobs where it would be really awkward to suddenly have an attack of the stigmata. Pastry Chef for example. Nobody wants a bloody vol-au-vent. Or Shark Feeder. The shark would sense the blood and have your whole hand off.

However, I reckon an actuary would get away with it. It wouldn't really matter if a little bit of blood dropped on the keyboard whilst a computer model was being built to describe the inner workings of a pension plan. I regularly get all sorts of sandwich filling and drink inside my keyboard and it continues to work fine.

Even if it started in a meeting you could get away with it. You could just claim that you'd accidentally stabbed yourself with a pencil. It happens. Or you could just come right out and say "It's ok, I have the stigmata. Ooops, here it comes again, ha ha" and just make a joke of it. It'd be fine.

I don't actually have the stigmata myself. But it's nice to realise that should such a condition afflict me in the future then it won't be the end of my career.

Now leprosy, that could be a problem.

No comments: