Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Childhood Tales (1)

I went out for a quicky after work this evening and through circumstances too daft to relate here I ended up admitting something that I don't think I've ever told anyone else before. So I thought I'd share:

Only one time did I ever fake an illness at school to get out of class. It was geography. I was somewhere in the age range of 13 to 14. I can derive this retrospectively because I never studied the subject at any other age. Except for 11 to 12, but I was far too well behaved then to have even considered a fake illness.

On the day in question I realised that I had forgotten to do my homework. I was probably have supposed to have drawn diagrams about how desert people farm or about how the wind affects eskimos or some such thing. I hadn't done it. I hadn't done it and I panicked. I didn't know what to do. I just wasn't the sort of kid who hadn't done their homework. That wasn't me.

So I pretented to be ill. I went to the nursey's place and made up some crap. I forget what, but I had to spend the next hour or so lying on the sick bed pretending to feel bad and not burst out laughing because I'd successfully bucked the system and skived geography. But god, was it boring. This was pre the Gameboy era (I think). I just had to lie there.

Eventually I "got better" and was able to leave. And I think that was the end of it. I felt bad and always made especial effort to not forget to do my homework again. Espcecially for geography. Although I dropped the subject at the earliest opportunity.

So I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologise to my geography teacher, Mrs Bayliss, and say that despite that lapse in my academic life, I'm ok, not a drug addict, everything's ok.

Glad I've got that off my chest. I feel clean now.

No comments: