Sunday, May 14, 2006

How to make gammon

I went back to Sheffield today to visit my parents, sister, bro-in-law and nephew. It's always excellent to get a decent home-cooked Sunday lunch. Today was gammon.

This made me realise something. Gammon comes from pigs. Pork also comes from pigs. Pork is not gammon. I have no idea what makes pig into gammon compared to what makes it into pork. I could probably look it up but I'm lazy. I will assume for the sake of argument that the pig-slaughterer has two knives: a pork knife and a gammon knife. Each of these knives has been blessed by a different meat-god. Hence if the pig-slaughterer wants to make gammon all he has to do are the following steps. I've phrased them in a way that a text-adventure parser would understand - this might be useful for you if you ever need to kill a pig in Zork.

1. Choose pig
2. Take gammon knife
3. Kill pig with gammon knife
4. Enjoy gammon
5. Quit

Your score is 3/200. You are a loser.

No comments: