Wednesday, May 17, 2006

A Doctor Who Conspiracy...

I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories but I think there's something going on over at the offices of New Scientist. Specifically I think that:

New Scientist is in league with the creators of Doctor Who and are publishing articles to make people believe that stories in said programme could actually happen.

I have evidence.

A couple of weeks ago, shortly before the episode where everyone's favourite robot dog, K9, returned to our screens, an article was published about... Robot Dogs! Scientists have been using Sony's (now discontinued) Aibo to conduct research into robotics. Now that it is no longer being produced they need to build an alternative. "Now is the time for us to stop being lazy and using Sony's platform. We need to get together to build a better system." says David Calkins of San Francisco State University. What would his ideal replacement look like? It would be "brick shaped and include a standard computer "brain" From that base it would be completely modifiable. Researchers could snap on different heads, legs, cameras and sensors". Presumably wheels too. Sounds like a perfect prototype for something that could one day evolve into K9!

But that's not all. The next evidence is even stronger!

In this week's issue (13 May) there is a special report on "Enhanced Humans". "Why settle for what you were born with?" it asks. "Are you ready for your upgrade?" it also asks. It talks about replacing body parts with artificial ones... can it only be coincidence that this was published in the same week that the Cybermen returned in Doctor Who? I think not.

I will be scouring future issues for some more evidence.

2 comments:

Lint said...

I've just emailed an edited version of this to New Scientist. If I get a reply I'll post it here! We'll see if they can defend themselves!

Lint said...

I think they're taking the piss now. In today's new issue the cover story is all about... Time Travel!!!