Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Drink Limitations

Last night I went to see Snow Patrol at the Glasgow ABC - an old cinema that's been converted into a venue.

Snow Patrol (1)

It was a great gig, even though I don't approve of what Gary's done to his hair. He seems to have had a perm. Not a good look.

Snow Patrol (3)

I had a strange experience at the bar. I went to order two glasses of red wine, and the lady serving me said that they were only allowed to give one alcoholic drink per person. Because I had gone to the bar on my own, I was unable to prove that the second drink was for someone else over 18 and so she only let me buy one (large) glass of red wine.

This was odd because:
a) earlier in the evening, two beers had been purchased in similar circumstances with no problems,
b) the wine was easily big enough to count as two drinks had it been in two glasses rather than one. I could easily have taken this extra large wine and shared it with a hypothetical 17 year old elsewhere in the venue.

After I'd bought the drink, I think I was supposed to leave the bar. However, I asked the lady if I could then buy a second glass of red wine. She thought for a couple of seconds and then said ok. Although this was the result I wanted, it clearly makes a mockery of the whole rule and the serving wench in question should probably be sacked. Doesn't she realise that I could have been buying that second wine for a child?

It seemed like such a weird, odd rule though. I think the implication was that had I been buying drinks for a group of four 40 year old men (rather than one 30 year old man and a girl who was definitely over 18) I would have had to take all three of the other men to the bar with me or maybe just their ID cards, should they have thought to bring them. Maybe people just don't buy drinks for other people in Glasgow.

One thing that was nice about all the bars though was the new Scottish no-smoking law. It really does make places more pleasant to visit. Roll on Summer 2007 where the same thing will be introduced down here.

No comments: