Saturday, May 20, 2006

Beast racing

I went to the horse races yesterday. It was very very windy. Although not sunny, it would have been warm enough without the wind. With the wind it was a little unpleasant at times but, being British, we darn well suffered it and stayed outside as much as possible.

Due to stopping off for a pint and a burger along the way we missed the first race, or at least the opportunity to place a bet on it. The next four races didn't go so well for me though - I lost five pounds on each one by choosing shit horses. Luckily in the sixth race my horse came in at 5 to 1 (well done Collateral Damage!) putting me five pounds up in total. I then did something rather sensible - I quit while I was ahead. I could have put the five pounds of winnings on the final race and ended up no worse off than break even. But I didn't! I took my money home. Wise decision as it turns out as I would have selected another donkey.

We also went to look at some of the horses in the paddock. They are big! I don't normally get so close to the animals but they really are big beasts!

No comments: