Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Beware of Peril

I'm a big fan of the little messages on TV film trailers that warn of the nasty things that may be in store for unsuspecting viewers ie "contains scenes of sex and violence". The best ones are the ones that warn of quite innocuous things. "Contains mild peril" seems to pop up on children's films from time to time. I'm never sure quite how perilous peril can get before it ceases to be mild and becomes instead just "peril" or perhaps even "strong peril".

I also worry about the films that warn that they contain "language". That's just odd.

I saw a trailer for the new monkey-based cartoon Curious George the other day. The warning on this one was a bit strange. It said "contains no sex, violence or bad language". This is weird.

Why have they felt the need to mention that there is no sex in a children's animated cartoon about a monkey? Do parents watch a trailer and think "Wow, that film looks great for my children but there's a risk that the curious monkey, George, might take a banana and be curious as to what might happen if he stuffs it up his arse. Oh, no it's fine. The warning implies there will be no monkey-buggery here. It's safe". Have perhaps parents been burnt by unexpected cartoon sex before? Was there some in Bambi that I missed?

I just don't get it.

Going somewhat the other way is the upcoming film Reeker. I know nothing about this film but my attention was drawn to it by a letter in this month's Total Film. The warning for this film says "This film is not yet rated. Graphic bloody violence, terror, language, drug-use, half a trucker".

Yes, Half A Trucker. How cool is that? Probably not suitable for children though.

No comments: