Sunday, September 18, 2005

Wrong Numbers

A foreign sounding bloke called me up on my mobile phone this evening. I don't think he wanted to talk to me. The only word he was saying was "James" or possibly "Jane" or possibly something else. It was hard to tell because he was foreign. I told him that I thought he had the wrong number but he just kept repeating the name. Maybe he couldn't hear me. Maybe he just liked the sound of my voice and wanted to hear me repeat several times that he had the wrong number. Or maybe he just didn't believe me. I have sometimes found in the past that people find it hard to conceptualise that they've been stupid enough to dial a wrong number. They think you must be hiding "Jane" in a closet somewhere. But I wasn't. I was genuinely here alone and ultimately the phoning man had no choice but to accept that he was wrong and that he was not going to be able to talk to whoever it was that he wanted to talk to.

I hope he found his friend.

Or here's a thought, maybe he was an evil terrorist phoning in a code word as a warning. That would be bad since I am not in a position to act on such a warning - I've mislaid my book of evil terrorist code words (I must get around to ordering a new one from Amazon).

No comments: