Saturday, September 24, 2005

On wine

I've just been watching a film, Sideways. It's about a couple of guys - the blurb says they're 30 somethings, but they look way over 40 to me - who head off on a pre-wedding jaunt around California's vinyards and drink a load of wine and meet some girls and end up in trouble as guys always do. The film's not really about wine, it just happens to feature a lot of wine in it. It's a great film, funny, written and directed by the guy who did About Schmidt, the actuary film that I still haven't seen.

It'd be hard to watch a film with so much wine in it without cracking open a bottle myself, a 2004 Pinot Grigio (Is that good? I have no idea. It tastes good to me). It'd be like watching Withnail & I without having a drink or Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan without dressing up in Starfleet uniform.

So I have this bottle of wine open, which I'm drinking currently. I like wine. I like the way that if you drink it from sober you get kind of happy buzzy. And I like the way it tastes fruity and good. I bought some little shredded wheat cereal things with cranberry centres at lunchtime. They taste fruity and slightly wrong. They're like anti-wine.

Despite the amount of the stuff I tend to drink, I don't really know huge amounts about wine. Maybe it's something I could make an effort to learn about. Even if I didn't end up with much actual knowledge, I'm sure I'd have fun making the effort. I know that I like red wine, and I like white wine. I don't like Rose much, and I don't like sweet wines. Other than that I'm not hugely fussy. As long as it doesn't taste too much like sherry, I'm happy.

I dated a girl (for about an hour) once who owned a wine fridge. That seemed pretty cool. A whole full size fridge set at a temperature designed to keep wine great. Cellar temperature. A wine fridge is a much more practical thing to have in a flat than a cellar would be. A fridge can be installed anywhere where there's a plug socket and an amount of space. A cellar, on the other hand, is a complete bastard to install, especially if you don't live on the ground floor.

So anyway. Wine. Yeah, it's great. Cheers!

7 comments:

Sarum said...

An alternate experiement, rather than putting effort into learning about something you drink a lot of, would be to learn to drink less, no?

Lint said...

Next you'll be saying I should learn to stop dressing like a pirate. Madness! Madness, I tell you!

Bertworld said...

Pinot grigio is a white wine and the grape name means pinot grey in italian. Often European grigio comes from Italy. Incidentally the french call the same wine Pinot gris. It is becoming a much more popular wine in Australia and NZ, and it more citrusty there. Its usually sort of half way between a chardonnay and a Sauvignon Blanc. It is also my favourite white wine grape.

Lint said...

Bert - thanks for pointing out that it's a white wine! That's useful. I hadn't realised when I opened it and then started drinking it.

Bertworld said...

Sorry. thought it might depend on how dark it was and if you'd been to the pub before. Or it may have been aimed at a wider audience

Tsuki said...

Hadn't realised that "grigio" was grey. Wikipedia also claim that it is usually drunk young - so 2004 is probably a good one. As for my preference, it would be a fruitier wine, medium - not too sweet but not woody at all if possible. Not French - not because I dislike the French, but because the French whites have a tendency to be woodier... Anyway. Learnt something.

Lint said...

Well, for the record, it was from Pavia, Italy. And very nice it was too.