Sunday, June 12, 2005

You're a mess. Yes, you.

I think most people are messed up in one way or another. This is not in itself a bad thing - a world where everyone was happy would be so horrifying. Like in those Jehova's Witnesses' pamphlets that show smiley humans living in peace and harmony with lions and tigers and the bad wolf. It would be vomit inducing. Thankfully, that isn't our world and isn't ever likely to be.

So we all have issues. We all have problems. But luckily we have ways to deal with them. We can bitch in pubs, we can write blogs, we can write songs, we can hold things inside until they burst, we can write letters to newspapers, we can keep a private diary, we can phone helplines or we can turn to a sinister mentor and embrace the dark-side. If things get really bad, we can even write poetry.

That's all nice then, there are outlets.

Anyway, what got me thinking about this was that I was at an open-mic night at a local bar, in a purely observational capacity. I had no intentions of playing anything despite one of my compositions having earlier in the day been compared to Coldplay - a comparison that was wrong in pretty much every way. If my life was a sitcom, then shortly after me saying "I had no intentions of playing anything" the screen would have faded out then in again to me on a stage with a guitar singing a song about how shit life is. Since my life is not a sitcom (honestly) then this did not happen.

I could go on for a while here, but instead I've thought of a quick summary that will allow me to take an early bed: Most songwriters are quite fucked up. Same as most people then, just more obviously so.

Succinct! Bye!

2 comments:

Jaq said...

Oi! I'm not a mess! Or 'quite fucked up'! Am I?

Lint said...

Everybody is!