Sunday, June 05, 2005

Upgrade time

Here is a list of all the mobile phones I have ever owned:

1. Ericsson T18
2. Sony Z5
3. Sony Ericsson T68i
4. Sony Ericsson Z600

You may spot a theme in the phone makers - I'm not a Nokia fan. I've really liked the Z600 - it had a nice clamshell design (with a satisfying snap-shut action) and I've delayed upgrading from it because there wasn't anything around that seemed to have sufficient extra goodness to make it worthwhile. It wasn't perfect, mind - the address book was always very cumbersome, the camera only had a resolution of 250x150 (ish) and the memory was pretty small (only 1Mb).

Today I have upgraded once more. I've stuck with Sony Ericsson and now have a rather nice D750i. Essentially the same phone as the K750, but slightly redesigned for T-Mobile. I reckon it does have sufficient extra goodness. Specifically:

- a 2 megapixel camera. That's decent enough resolution to mean I don't have to carry my actual camera around with me as much.
- It comes with about 100Mb of memory, but that's expandable up to 2Gb - it uses Sony memory sticks (annoyingly though it uses the physically smaller Duo kind rather than the normal ones that I already have some of).
- Radio and MP3 player. Not sure how much I'll actually bother to use these - but the radio may come in handy. The MP3 player also plays AACs which is handy given that that's how most of my music is encoded. Good to see Sony thinking a bit more sensibly about compression formats - there was a time when Sony digital music players would only work with Sony's ATRAC format.
- All the music files can be set as ringtones. See if you can guess what I'm using at the moment. Clue: It's not that fucking frog. Now I know that's a hard guessing game since I'm basically saying "Guess, out of all the songs in the world, which particular one I have chosen to use for now". Tough.
- It's got a torch! Really!
- All the address book problems of the Z600 have been fixed - it works much more simply and easily now.
- It transforms into a robot.
- You can phone people on it. Apparently.
- Other misc features.

Nicest thing was that the little man in the shop didn't make any attempt whatsoever to sell me insurance!

No comments: