Sunday, November 14, 2004

There's a Silence

Today was this year's Rememberance Sunday. A day to remember the war dead for 2 minutes in silence, as opposed to all day which would tend to interfere with people's busy diaries. I for example would have been hard pressed to use my whole day to remember dead soldiers, since I have had more pressing things to attend to (eg food shopping).

I did feel a bit cheated in that I'd already observed some silence on Thursday, which was the 11th of November, or 11/11 as the Americans might call it. That silence was only a minute long, but I thought of things really fast during it, so it was equivalent to the slightly slower-witted two minutes I experienced today.

Rather than just be silent on my own, I listened to the silence on the radio, live from the Cenotaph, London. It's a bit strange, since it's not actually properly silent. What you hear is kind of a quiet hush, almost a buzzing. I turned up the volume to hear it better. I hadn't realised that the end of the silence is marked by some kind of gun or cannon being set off. *BANG* It sounded very loud in my flat and made me jump somewhat.

I suppose I could have avoided this scare by just turning the radio off.

Or by not being silent. It does seem unfair that occasionally the world is deprived of me talking for short lengths of time.

1 comment:

Chip said...

No, that's too obvious a feeder line. I prefer a challenge. I can wait!