Saturday, November 20, 2004

A bit of wet

I noticed that the carpet was a bit wet the other day, just by the door to my kitchen. I wasn't sure where the wet had come from, but I dried it off with Kitchen Roll and went to bed (since it was late at night when I spotted it). It seemed to stay dryish for a few days, but today has gone wet again, so I lifted the edge to look under, and the concrete below did seem to be a little wet too.

So I investigated further and lifted the lino in the kitchen and under that it was really quite wet. Strange... I am assuming that there is a leaky pipe somewhere or something. It doesn't seem to be making huge amounts of water though, so I'm treating it as non-urgent.

But I'm going to have to get a man in to sort it out. Hopefully it'll be covered by the 10 year new homes guarantee that my flat is still under.

I have accidentally ripped the kitchen floor (a little bit) though when I was pulling it up. Whoops clumsy me. On a plus side, once I get the wet sorted, maybe this will finally inspire me to get the new hard flooring I've been claiming I was going to get since I moved in eighteen months ago.

----------

Update:

Hmmm, after some inspection of my documents it seems that the guarantee probably doesn't cover this sort of thing (though I'm sure my insurance would).

Ok, here's my plan of action then:
1. Tomorrow I will remove the lino from the kitchen completely.
2. Then I will allow the floor to dry.
3. Assuming it dries, I will then carry out normal activities until I find something that makes it wet again.
4. Then I will fix that thing.
5. Or get a man in to fix that thing.
6. Then I will replace the floor covering.

If any of that sounds like a bad idea, please tell me as I have no real concept of what I'm supposed to do when faced with these responsible adult type issues.

1 comment:

Bertworld said...

I'd agree with badfriend. you probably have a slow leak from something. it could be as simple as needing new washer on the washing machine, or resealing some pipes in the kitchen.

dont think you'll have it coverd by 10 year guarantee or buildings/contents insurance.

However I bet that you leave the floor the way it is for at least 6 months!!! whatever you do dont put down a hardwood floor before you are sure it is sorted or else the wood will warp etc. If you have this sorted by new year then buy the new floor in xmas sales.