Thursday, November 11, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to tonight (21)

Third time at Fibbers within seven days. Maybe eight days if you are really arsey about timing. I was there last Wednesday anyway, and there again tonight which was also a Wednesday. Tonight was one of those reasonably rare occasions when I knew nothing about the headline act. So we'll move onto him later...

First on tonight, York's own Motu One. A Band that seems to have a higher member turnover rate than most call centres. It's hard to be properly criticistic of a band when you know the lead singer, but I'll try anyway. One Pos, One Neg. Pos: I like the violin schtick. I've always been a sucker for strings. Neg: The spoken bit in one of the new songs was way too REM.

Four Day Hombre were middle on. They were excellent, as they are so often. It was nice to see the return of the Kate Bush cover after a few gigs without it. I'm running up that hill too.

And finally Ethan Daniel Davidson. He's an American from (possibly) Alaska, who does what can only sensibly be described as Country. Favourite song had to be "I can't drink you pretty", though I'm not sure if it was an original or a cover. The basic sentiment was the country classic of "You're a minger, and however many whiskeys I drink tonight, you'll still be a minger. Do you wanna get together anyhow?".

Tonight in Fibbers, there were three actuaries and one trainee. That'd be 3.5 on the AR(SE) scale I think.

5.0: Puressence
4.5: Trachetenburg Family Slideshow Players
3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon / Keane / The Brakes / ED Davidson
3.0: The Open 2 / Thirteen Senses 1 / David Devant
2.5: Four Day Hombre 1 / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete / Dawn of the Replicants
1.5: The Ordinary Boys
1.0: The Open 1 / J. Richman / Four Day Hombre 2 / Simon & Garfunkel / Seafood / Thirteen Senses 2 / Cherry Falls

Next up, The Bluetones at Fibbers in December. It's sold out, and will be great.

3 comments:

Jimbobjo said...

How come it took you two hours to write this post? Get some sleep!

Lint said...

Strange... looks like the Blogger time stamp did something strange. I thought it was before midnight when I posted.

Tim said...

TFSP are geniuses!