Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Yesterday, all my Venuses seemed so far away

Yesterday's Venus transit has now been and gone. I'd like to say that I observed Venus. Mainly because I would then have used a transitive verb in the sentence which would seem appropriate. However, I didn't really see it for a number of reasons:

1. Cloud cover early in the morning
2. Too much sunshine later in the morning

I always have a problem with these Sun related astronomical events. And the problem is that I don't really hold with all this new fangled sun-viewing technology, like really dark glass or eclipse glasses. I figure if you can't see something with a normal pair of sunglasses, then it's probably not worth seeing.

So armed with nothing but my sunglasses and my wits, I went out to see the transit. I put on the shades and had a quick glance upward, but to be honest I didn't really see much. Even after staring for a full 10 minutes I still couldn't make out the small black dot that would have been Venus. But not to worry, I can always watch it on the TV News later.

With this consolation in mind, I looked forwards once more and headed onwards into town. Sadly, I was now blind and stepped (ironically) in front of a transit van. The van was travelling at 60mph and killed me instantly. It's lucky that they have an internet cafe in Purgatory.

Two morals from this that we can all learn from:
- The sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace. That will BLIND you.
- Speed kills - slow down kids, nowhere's worth going to anyway.

1 comment:

asyl076 said...

Lucky we have you to test this kind of thing for us.