Thursday, June 24, 2004

They're all fruity, not just the orange ones

In my ongoing mission to try new sweets so that you don't have to, I tried Fruit Smarties at the weekend. After my recent unpleasant experience of Fruit Allsorts, I was somewhat dubious, but I know my duty and I carried it out.

Normal Smarties are round, sugary coated chocolate. All taste the same apart from the orange ones which taste orangey. This is either genuine or psychological, but I think genuine. They are like flattened M&Ms, but much nicer. And they come in a round cardboard tube, with plastic top and bottom. The top normally has a letter of the alphabet under it so if you collect enough you can spell words like "giraffe", "guaranteed" or "gynaecological". Most kids probably don't do that (especially the last one) and instead just have lots of fun eating the sweets, replacing the top and then squeezing the tube so that the top flies across the room and hits Mrs Dawson the maths teacher on the back of her head.

So onto Fruit smarties.
Good things about Fruit Smarties:
- They taste like Tutti Fruttis, but are slightly smaller.
- You can play a game where you have to guess the flavour the sweet you've just put in your mouth. This is a bit like the game you can play with Opal Fruits but better and easier because you don't have to unwrap Fruit Smarties.
- They come in a cardboard box which can be opened and closed at will.
- They are lovely. I want more.

Bad things about Fruit Smarties
- No cardboard tube, so no letters to collect.
- No cardboard tube, so no fun firing plastic tops across the room.
- I've eaten all the ones I had.
- Not a lot of point to them given that they taste just like Tutti Fruttis (but are slightly smaller)

Overall, I give Fruit Smarties marks out of 10 as follows:

******** 8/10

That is quite a good score. Fruit allsorts would have got 2 at most. Maybe only one.

1 comment:

Bertworld said...

Nice to see that you've expanded you diet a little bit. Sweets and Beer.