Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Slow and steady wins the race...

This evening I've taken part in my first ever proper running race! It was a whole 5km down around the river and the millennium Bridge. There were two races - the first was for men, and the second was for women and slower men. I clearly went in the second one. If I'm going to be beaten by girls, it might as well be by hundreds of them.

It was strange running that way, with marshals pointing the way and random people clapping. As I got near the end I was being encouraged along by shouts of "Come on Liz!" which helped me no end.

Anyway, suffice to say, I didn't win the thing. I don't have my final position yet, but it was definitely not top ten. Or top hundred. Oh well. My time was twenty nine and a half minutes which I was happy with since I don't normally do that distance any faster than that and I was dead ill yesterday.

If you're worried that I might be over-exerting myself, then you're probably right and I intend to now take a few days very easy and relax and sleep and get back to 100% health, or at least as close to that as I ever am.

And this will be helped by the lovely bags we got at the end of the race containing Smarties (standard), Fruit Pastilles, a Kit-Kat Chunky and... Twenty Yorkshire Teabags. Can't complain!

No comments: