Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I was ill. But I got better

After my incident at the level crossing last night, the last thing I wanted to see when I turned on the TV was that public information film with the cute rabbit ambling along a railway track where it eventually comes across bits of wreckage and eventually, at a level crossing, a full on car crash. Message: Don't piss about on level crossings.

Strangely it was pretty much the first thing I actually saw when I turned on the TV.

After that I sat in my shorts watching my favourite engineering programme, Megastructures on Channel 5 (this week featuring the Dubai dude and his bizarre island building plans) and slowly started to feel colder and colder. I swapped my shorts for jeans and put on a fleece. I was still cold and was starting to shiver so I added a dressing gown on top. This didn't quite do it and by now I was shivering a lot so I added my duvet to the mix. That just about did the job (after a bit). I was also running a bit of a fever at this point - if I'd had a thermometer I think it would have shown a temperature of about a million degrees.

I assumed that this was some new feature of the cold I still had. I'd been sneezing and sniffing and headachy all day, indeed all weekend, so it seemed strange for the thing to suddenly move into full on fever mode.

It lasted for an hour or so and then I started to feel better and was able to remove some of the excess layers until eventually I was comfortable again wearing just my normal clothes. Then I slept ok overnight and I feel now pretty similar to how I felt yesterday (ie a bit crap but not exactly bedbound).

I'm hoping that I'm over the worst of it and it'll be uphill all the way now. But I'm going to take some Lemsips to work just in case.

No comments: