Monday, August 07, 2006

The light of an oncoming train

I was out running this evening (how nice for the temperature to have dropped below 20 degrees...) and for the first time ever the level crossing barriers at Nether Poppleton were down and flashing when I got to them. There were a couple of lorries waiting on one side and a car and a cyclist on my side. There was also a railway man in a yellow jacket who seemed to be looking after things and talking to the drivers to explain the delay.

As I got close I slowed down to look around and see if the man would wave me across as he was starting to do with the rest of the traffic. Once he'd cleared most of it (the lights were all still flashing and there was a loud siren going off) he waved me over. I crossed the tracks carefully, thankful that there was someone there who knew what was going on and would prevent me from being run over by a speeding train.

He said to me that the things were all out of order. Ahh, thought I. That's annoying. Lucky you were here to prevent me waiting around for hours!

Then, as I started to run off, the man in the yellow jacket got back into his big lorry and drove off! Yes! He wasn't a railwayman at all, just a fat trucker! He could have had me killed! I trusted him and believed he knew there was no train coming, but he likely knew no such thing. He was just guessing.

They don't warn you about that kind of thing in running school.

No comments: