Sunday, August 06, 2006

Driving Practice

I took a friend out for a drive this afternoon - he is currently learning how and needs practice before his test. Since I have been driving for longer than 3 years and am also over 21, I am a suitable person to sit beside a learner whilst they attempt to move a large dangerous hunk of metal from A to B without passing through Dead.

We went up to the test centre at Osbaldwick and then drove one of the actual routes they use for the test. My knowledge of the roads of Tang Hall is now much higher than it was yesterday. I found it quite hard to get all the directions right - a lot of them say things like take the 5th left turn but it's not always obvious which one that is. Also the routes don't always do what you might expect them to - they dive off into little housing estates and do little loops and things. We only made one proper mistake though and I was able to get us back on course fairly easily.

I think I was quite a good driving supervisor overall. I was calm and didn't scream once. The actual driving itself seemed better than the driving of certain people who have driven me places in the past that had passed their tests. I think he'll be fine as long as he keeps practising and works on his starts a bit.

No comments: