Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Parcel Delivery

Whilst I was at work today a parcel from Amazon arrived at my flat (some DVDs and a book). As I wasn't in, they left a card saying what they'd done with the parcel, which was to have left it with one of my neighbours. This was a good thing because it meant the parcel was nearby. It was bad news because it meant I'd have to have contact with my neighbours. I actually wouldn't mind this, as I know most of them, but the delivery man had managed to leave it with the one neighbour I've never met, and indeed have no idea what he/she looks like.

I tried initially to go for the approach of hoping said neighbour would bring the parcel down to me and save me having to climb two flights of stairs. On the basis that they'd have nothing better to do than sit around watching out of their window for me to get back from work (because obviously they'd know who I was!) so that they could rush down and give me a package of happiness.

But this didn't happen so I had to resort to plan B: going up to... see them, a complete stranger.

Bit scary.

I went upstairs, and had worked out what I was going to say ("Hello! I live downstairs, why weren't you watching out for me returning home, can I have my ball back?") and approached the front door of the flat. What I saw wasn't what I expected to see. My parcel was just leaning by the flat door. I took it relieved that I'd avoided a confrontation (oh, ok, conversation) and went back downstairs. But I was puzzled.

Either a) the delivery man had gotten into the building and left the parcel outside completely the wrong flat (for safety?) and then left me a message saying he'd done that or b) the owner of the other flat had left it outside his own door in a bid to avoid having to speak to me.

The second option seemed more likely, but I didn't really understand why they hadn't just have left it by my own front door. It wouldn't really have been any less secure - it's not like there are hundreds of people traipsing round the place. Maybe he was thinking that he knew the delivery man would leave a card saying the package was at his, not mine, and so he should go for the approach that made this as true as possible.

I don't know. But at least I got my stuff.

3 comments:

Tsuki said...

Sounds like you've found a reclusive neighbour!
I had some stuff delivered before Christmas which they gave to some people over the road. When I went and asked for it, the man seemed terrified at the prospect of speaking to me (though I do have that affect on people) until he realised that all I wanted was my parcel.

Tsuki said...

did I mean "effect" rather than "affect" there?

Chip said...

Yes, you did.