Sunday, May 22, 2005

There's Good Music And There's Less Good Music

Yesterday was quite a musical day.

In the afternoon, there was a free gig in the city centre as part of York Live 2005. York Live is described as a "music festival" though to be honest that description is pushing it a little bit. I'd really only gone down to see Four Day Hombre, but it was a sunny day, I had a couple of tinnys and I wasn't on my own for once so it was all good.

It's the first time I've seen the band since they finished recording the album (out later this year) and thankfully they were still great. Shame the set wasn't longer but since I'll be seeing them again on Wednesday I shan't complain too much.

Here they are on "The Big Stage":

Four Day Hombre - Parliament Sq

As far as I'm aware, there wasn't a second "Small Stage" anywhere about. Although given the size it would have had to be, it would have been easy to miss had it existed.

The evening held further musical delights since it was the annual Eurovision Song Contest. 24 slicings of Euro-pop live from The Ukraine. Since last year's winner, Ruslana, had gone for a tribal drum feel, this year everyone seemed to have gone for a tribal drum feel (with 2 or 3 notable exceptions) which made a lot of the songs feel even more samey than normal. But overall the contest was perhaps a little unexciting this year. Which is why we have wine.

The Moldovian entry was my favourite mainly because it was utterly bizarre. A man kind of sang a shouty song about how his grandma likes to bang a drum. Then his grandma got out of a rocking chair and banged a big drum. Really. It's possible that the song may have a had a subtle meaning that I just didn't pick up. But I don't think it did. I'm not even sure if the Moldovan people go in for subtle meanings. I'm not even sure where Moldova is. Or what it's for.

But at least the Grandma Drum was a different drum to the jungle drums that everyone else had.

The UK entry didn't do so well. Not last place, but not far off. I don't think anybody likes us.

No comments: