Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Shock News

Occasionally you hear some news that just seems so strange, so outlandish so wrong that for a moment you just freeze. News that is quite simply, unbelievable. For the bit of news to be true, you'll have to rearrange your entire worldview, change expectations and live your life in a slightly different way.

I had some news like that recently. I'll share it with you.

Take a deep breath: Fibbers (York's finest gig venue) is having air-condtioning installed!! Yes, actual air conditioning that makes the place cooler when it's hot. When I was in there the other day there was evidence that they'd begun the installation process. By now it may all be ready and functioning.

I've been going there for many years now, and the heat is something that you get used to. It's part of what makes Fibbers the place that it undoubtedly is.

This could be the end of huge sweatage when it's busy. Or when it's hot. Or when I've taken a big coat and a jumper along and am too lazy to take them off and too tight to put them in the cloakroom (Cloakroom! That alone was a radical enough change when they installed it last year). But I'm slightly worried that a cool Fibbers won't be a cool Fibbers any more (see what I did there?). That it'll lose some of it's charm.

Or maybe it'll just make it much nicer and more pleasant for everyone.

I'll let you know.

----------------------------

Update, 1927 25/05/05

The Fibbs website confirms that the A/C is now live. And they've used the same "cool" "joke". Great minds and all that...

----------------------------

Update to the update, 2341 25/05/05

I've just got back from Fibbers. The A/C is definitely installed. But it ain't turned on yet. It was hot.

3 comments:

Chip said...

Is the fan still there though?

Lint said...

Good question. I'm not totally sure. I don't remember it not being there...

Jaq said...

They installed a cloakroom?