Monday, May 30, 2005

Someone likes yoghurt!

I went to see Richard Herring last night at a local comedy club. To describe him as a personal hero of mine would be pushing things a little, but I have been following most of what he's been doing for the last ten years or so. Or back as far as Fist of Fun, whichever was earlier.

I therefore had a pretty good idea that a large part of the show would be about yoghurt (though I didn't have the details). Despite having this knowledge myself, I'd decided not to share it with the person I was going with - "Hey, do you wanna go and see a slightly chubby man do a show about yoghurt?" is not often going to meet with a favourable response. Luckily the yoghurt routine was actually pretty funny. And really wouldn't work well with any attempt to explain it more here.

It was funny watching him deliberately try to wind up the reviewer from the local paper by making absurdly obscene suggestions to his girlfriend. I assume it was deliberate, or else it was a spectacularly bad choice of audience member to offer his single trout sized sperm to. Which again doesn't really make much sense here without a lot of explanation.

The club is in the basement of the local arts cinema and takes place on some Sundays. I haven't been for a couple of years since it normally sells out in advance and a lot of the names playing aren't immediately familiar unless you know about these things - though that obviously doesn't mean that they aren't funny. Sunday's normally a school night too :-)

The bar can be a little slow but only because most people going up seem to be ordering four pint pitchers of beer - normally between two or three people, but I did see one person having one on their own. It seems slightly wrong to me to order four pints for your own consumption all at once, if only because the lager will have gone warm and flat by the time you get to the end. Not nice.

--------------------------------

Note: If you want to go and see a slightly chubby man do a show about yoghurt, then why not go and see Rich at the Edinburgh Festival this year? I'm sponsoring the programme!

No comments: