Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Losing my mind through the medium of cheese

Last night I was in a little village out in Yorkshire and I went into a corner shop to buy some cheese. I wanted some of my favourite cheese - a hardish white coloured one. The problem came when I tried to order it and found that I couldn't actually remember what the cheese was called. I knew it wasn't Wensleydale, that's much crumblier than my favourite cheese. But other than that I was drawing a blank. The information had just been completely removed from my mind.

Even looking at the cheeses on display didn't help. I couldn't spot my cheese, even though I had a certainty that it was there somewhere, possibly hiding behind the Brie. The shop assistant was trying to be helpful. "Is it White Leicester that's your favourite cheese sir?". "No!". "Then is it White Stilton that's your favourite cheese sir?". "No!". And so on.

Eventually I had to leave the store slightly embarassed and go back to what I was doing, cheeseless.

Later in the evening I predictably remembered what the cheese was called, but sadly the shop was shut and so I could not go back there.

Now I have again forgotten what the cheese was called.

--------------------------------------------

Now the above story is blatantly not true. It is in fact part of a dream I had last night. And I definitely did remember the name of the cheese and I definitely now can't.

But then it gets strange: Whilst writing the above, "White Stilton" wasn't the cheese I wanted to use, I wanted to use another cheese. But I couldn't (and can't!) remember what the bloody thing is called. I tried www.cheese.com, a very good cheese site, and was unable to spot the cheese I wanted in its alphabetical list of cheeses.

Weirdly, it has gone from my head, and now I'm not even sure if it's a real cheese I was thinking of. I have a feeling that the dream cheese wasn't a real cheese and had the name "Anne" in it. But I could be wrong.

So now I'm thinking: Is this what it feels like to lose your mind? Do you have dreams that foreshadow reality? Dreams that purely by the fact that they were dreamt, then cause a reflection of that dream to actually happen? You dream of forgetting cheese and then in real life a part of your mind that used to have a cheese name in it has now become blanked? Am I going mad?

And of all my dreams that could come true, why does it have to be the one about forgetting cheese names!!! Not fair!

No comments: