Wednesday, January 10, 2007

New Shoes

My old shoes were in a bit of a state. Some time ago the laces broke so I bought some new ones. The new ones were a bit on the thin side and this meant that they would come undone on a regular basis. I have spent most of the last six months bent over retying my shoe-laces. Not much fun. Also the in-soles can only be described as "buggered to pieces". And the right shoe feels like it permanently has something stuck to the bottom of it even though it hasn't. I've checked several times.

Also, they are a bit dirty.

Therefore I decided to purchase some new ones. Actually, I decided to do this some while back but I only got around to doing it today.

My shoe shop of choice was Marks & Spencers because it's all self service and so I wouldn't have to talk to a shoe shop assistant. It always takes about an hour for them to go into the back room to fetch a pair of shoes for you to try on. I'm pretty sure that they always make themselves a cup of tea whilst they're in there. Or maybe they just sit down and do a Sudoku for a bit. Or maybe they catch up on Neighbours. Whatever it is, it takes ages and I couldn't be arsed with that today.

Hence M&S.

The first pair of shoes I picked up to try on would have been fine except that they were both left shoes, and there were no right ones anywhere obviously nearby. I abandoned them and tried a different pair. These were better as they came in both feet. I tried them on, they fit, I took them off and bought them.

They have fairly smooth soles so at the moment they are pretty lethal when worn on carpet. It's slip slidy slip slip. I shall have to be careful. I nearly fell over in the shop when I tried them on (maybe this should have put me off...) and so I think they'll need a bit of outside wear to get them a bit grippier. Hopefully they won't be as slippy outside... I'll find out tomorrow morning. I really hope it's not an icy day or I may actually die.

But at least I shouldn't have to keep retying my laces.

I also, whilst in the shop, purchased some new Day Of The Week Socks - the ones that say what day you are supposed to wear each pair on. I shall obey the instructions, initially at least. I don't want more bad sock Karma.

3 comments:

Chip said...

I was in a similar shoe-related position to you when I arrived here. I now own a pair of kangaroo leather shoes. They're not noticeably bouncier than normal shoes.

Lint said...

Shame...

Bbbbboooooiiiiinnnnnggggggggg!!!!

Bertworld said...

Do the shoes come with a pouch for keeping things? That would be cool. Keep some cash when you go out, or the spare key.