Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Festive 20 - 2006

Every year, I compile a list of the top 20 songs of the year as voted for by me, the only person that counts. Rules for eligibility for inclusion in the list are flexible, but I think all on this year's list were released either as a single, or on an album during the year.

Let the countdown commence. In reverse order:

20: Monster - The Automatic
19: You and Me - The Delays
18: All Over Again - Ronan Keating and Kate Rusby
17: Crystal Ball - Keane
16: Bones - The Killers
15: Made Up Love Song #43 - The Guillemots
14: Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World - The Divine Comedy
13: Nature's Law - Embrace
12: My Secret Is My Silence - Roddy Woomble
11: Fill My Little World - The Feeling
10: It's All Coming Back To Me Now - Meat Loaf
9: Naive - The Kooks
8: I Feel It - Lorraine
7: Sea of Trouble - Cord
6: Patience - Take That
5: A Great Big Sled - The Killers
4: Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
3: Don't Go Gently - Four Day Hombre
2: Never In A Million Years - Cara Dillon
1: Winter - Cord

There are two artists to have got two songs each in this year's 20. The Killers have put out several fine singles of which Bones is one, but also A Great Big Sled is possibly the finest Christmas song of the last ten years and so I felt they deserved a second placing. Cord put out several fantastic singles - sadly the album was not quite as excellent as these had been (though it was still fine).

And yes, I know Ronan Keating is evil. That was still a great duet he's done with Kate Rusby there though so all credit to the (evil) man.

No comments: