Thursday, January 11, 2007

Come on, let's crawl...

Today I bought "The Best Disney Album In The World... Ever!". A 3 CD collection of Disney songs. It has some great stuff on it, including most of the things you'd expect to get on a collection like that. 75 songs in total.

I'm not sure the title is accurate though - my mum and dad used to have a Disney Collection when I was a kid (On cassette tapes! Remember them?) and I reckon that was just as good at the time. Ok, it didn't have anything from Beauty and the Beast or Aladdin cos they hadn't been drawn back then. But it did have Ugly Bug Ball on it - a true classic if ever there was one. The new compilation has that too, though I didn't realise in the shop. I think my eyes were playing up. I was happy when I realised a few minutes ago that I'd been mistaken.

Perhaps it's unfair to compare a compilation made now, when I'm 30, to one made in the seventies when I was somewhat younger... but if you'd have given me the new one then I'd have said "Shiny!" and then dribbled over the CDs which I had no mechanism to play. Even if you'd have given it me on tape I'd have found a lot of it confusing. Films I'd never seen etc...

But for all the great songs, there do seem to be a few tracks that make me dispute the claim that the album is the best ever, now or 25 years ago. Proof: at the end of disc 3 there are tracks from Chicken Little, The Lizzie McGuire Movie, That's So Raven, The Cheetah Girls and Hannah Montana. Scrrrraaaappppppeeee. Yes that's the sound of the Disney barrel being well and truly scraped.

No comments: