Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Running in Space

For the first ever time, my running took me outside what I class as York - ie outside the ring formed by the outer ring road and the A64. It felt like the first time I'd ever been outside of York on foot but this is clearly not the case - I've walked in places such as Great Yarmouth and San Francisco in past times.

The route I took went right round the back of Bishopthorpe Village. It seemed nice enough and there's also a palace out there. But the most interesting thing about the back of Bishopthorpe is the Planetarium.

Near where the A64 crosses the A1036 you'll find the Sun (*). And then some way along the path is Mercury - and it's just as far as it is in real life! But shorter so it fits to the path. And there's a big sign on the other side of the path which says "Mercury" - just like in real Space! And there are direction signs saying Sun: 100m. And Venus: 87m. And etc. Just like in real space! Then, if you keep running you get to actual Venus. And then actual Earth (look really closely and you see a tiny little you running along a tiny track!)! And etc!

We turned left just after Saturn. To go out all the way to Pluto would have added another 15km or so to the overall run and it was raining frankly quite heavily which made the full interplanetary journey not that great a prospect. I was surprised just how wet space was. And I never knew it had so many trees!

(* actually we couldn't find the Sun but it must be there somewhere. There's a sign and everything! In fact, I'm not sue how we missed it because it's supposed to be eight feet in diameter...)

1 comment:

Chip said...

Drew and I were planning on running the length of the solar system in April during our marathon training, until we added on the journey distance from our houses to the Sun and back - would have been about 29 miles round trip from mine!