Sunday, June 11, 2006

Going round in circles

The Yorkshire Wheel dominates the local skyline around here. That's not too hard to do, as there are only about two high buildings in the whole of York. It's been up for about two or three months now and I've just about got used to it. It's moved from being a "wow, look at that" construction to something I pass by two or three times a day and pay as much attention to as most lamp-posts.

Anyway, yesterday was another hot, clear, gorgeous day so it seemed like a good time to finally spend my six pounds and have a go on it. Despite the lovely weather it wasn't really that busy - I suspect this was due to a certain sporting event taking place on the television. Me being me, I wasn't at all interested in seeing that so the Wheel was a good alternative (after a quick picnic (ok, sandwich) behind the Minster).

Looking Up The Wheel (1)

No queues, so we didn't have to wait long to go on. And then you go on and you go round and round and round three or four times. I lost count a little. Up, down, round it goes, where it stops no-one knows.

The view from the top is pretty good and you can see both of York's landmarks. But they're all small like toys. I could also see my flat (I wasn't in) and my office (I wasn't there either).

The main problem though was that because it was very hot, the capsules were also very hot. They have air conditioning but ours didn't seem to be working very well. Darn modern technology. In the old days, you'd just open a window and it would sort everything. I suppose insects are less of a problem when you have air-con. At least it was only a short walk home to get a cool drink after.

No comments: