Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Phone Savings

This will be a handy tip for people who are stupid like what I am.

For the last forever years I have been paying £1.75 to British Telecom to get the Caller Display system. I find this quite useful as it lets you see the number of the person that is calling you and then ignore the call if desired. Obviously I never use this power for evil. However, whilst playing around on the BT website yesterday I discovered something (reasonably well hidden): you don't have to pay the money to get this. There is another way.

All you have to do is subscribe to "BT Privacy" instead. It's free and includes automatic registration with the TPS, with whom I am already registered, and you also get free Caller Display thrown in. So I did this. Hey presto, savings of twenty one English pounds per annum. Possibly plus VAT.

It's hard to see how they don't just give existing customers this automatically - oh, hang on, it's not. It's because they are greedy capitalist b**tards. Ahem.

So my recommendation to anyone reading is to do this same thing. And if you don't want Caller Display or if you're with a different company, then register with the TPS anyway because it really works and virtually eliminates unwanted phone calls (ie all of them).

This was a public service announcement. Bye!

No comments: