Saturday, June 10, 2006

Dinner at Trickster's

I went for dinner with me girl last night at Trickster's Lane on Fossgate. I haven't been there before but I think it has a reputation as one of York's better restaurants. I hadn't bothered booking in advance for two reasons: I hadn't actually chosen anywhere in advance, and also I figured that things would be fairly quiet because of the football. And this turned out to be true. Though I've often found that most places tend to be able to squeeze in a table for two at reasonably short notice.

We had a rather tasty bottle of Pinotage and I went for the Sea Bass with Sweet Chilli Sauce. It was a very perky looking little fish! And very tasty too. I wouldn't perhaps normally pair fish and chilli but the combo worked well.

Sea Bass

Apparently the mussels were also really good - I didn't have them myself for once though as I'm not a fan of the creamy type sauce they were in. I much prefer mussels in a tomato based sauce. Yes.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. They even carried our drinks from the reception area to our table for us! I liked the whole look and feel of the place. Big chunky wooden tables and not at all pretentious. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. Although it's perhaps not York's cheapest eaterie :-)

It's being closed down soon for a complete refurbishment and a name change, but with the same management. I have no idea why this is happening as it seemed perfectly nice as it was but it'll be an excuse to go back again!

No comments: