Sunday, June 04, 2006

At The Drive-In

Last night I sat in a dark car park on the Knavesmire for several hours. Lots of people kept flashing their lights and there were lots of strangers making out in many of the cars. Yes, that's right: I went dogging.

Ha ha, fooled you. I wasn't really dogging. I was at a drive-in movie.

At The Drive In

I've never been to a drive-in before. I think the main reason for this is that they are a bit daft and also quite uncommon these days. You sit potentially quite far from the screen, in a car seat that is nowhere near as comfy as the seat in a decent cinema. If you're lucky it doesn't rain so that you can actually see the screen. Sound, however, works pretty well as it can be broadcast over a local FM frequency.

And you can take a picnic - normal cinema owners are always slightly averse to people doing this. And you can also take wine (non-drivers only, obvs).

Yesterday's movie was the classic Grease. Always a fine film, and one that felt particularly appropriate for the drive-in arena, being set as it was in the 50s when that particular form of cinema viewing was actually considered normal. We were quite far back as we'd watched Doctor Who before leaving home - this led to us being some of the last people to arrive, at around quarter past eight. The actual film, however, couldn't start until it was dark so we still had about an hour and a half to eat and drink.

Whilst there some idiot kept trying to add my phone to their Bluetooth thing. I couldn't tell who it was other than that the phone was called "Reef". Later, however, I heard a parent in a nearby car refer to one of her four boys by that name. Stupid child with a stupid name. My theory on the name was that the woman has named each of her children after the drink she was Drunk-Out-Of-Her-Skull on when she conceived. This was later borne out when I discovered the other boys were named "Strongbow", "Tenants Super" and "Screaming Orgasm". Ok, I made up this last bit.

No comments: