Tuesday, June 13, 2006

New Coke

I tried a new drink yesterday that's just been launched in the UK - Coca Cola Zero. It's Coke, but with zero calories.

Except that a quick reading of the nutritional information shows that zero is something of an underestimate since a half litre bottle actually contains three calories. That's infinitely more than zero. Most children could tell you that zero is not the same as three. If a child has three toys and I remove three toys so that they have zero toys, they are not indifferent to this. In fact they'd likely cry like a baby.

I admit that Coca Cola Three would not have been as good a name, but even so I felt a little cheated. The only potential excuse Coke have is that they may make it with zero calories in other territories but they've had to use different (caloried) chemicals here to fit in with some legislative restrictions. But I'd just be guessing - I'm not a food doctor.

It didn't taste too bad though. More like Coke than Diet Coke is. I'm not sure how CCZ is different to DC though. I never understood the difference between Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max so I expect it's like that.

And three calories isn't much (even though it is three more than the claimed zero). Recommended daily calorific amount for a man like me is 2500. This means I could drink 400 litres of CCZ a day without getting fat! That's equivalent to drinking over five times my own body weight! Without putting on any weight at all! Absolutely amazing. And if I did drink that much, it would weigh so much that lifting it all would be lots of exercise that would mean I'd need yet more calories and I'd be able to drink more coke!

I think it still probably rots your teeth though.

No comments: