Thursday, July 21, 2005

A night in elsewhere

Last night I visited the Yorkshire town of Huddersfield. The town as it is today was largely formed from the textile trade but this sadly doesn't mean that the place is literally built of cloth. That would be daft. Everyone would get soggy when it rained (which being in Yorkshire, it probably does a lot). No, Huddersfield is built of stone. Stone and brick. And mortar. Probably. If I'm honest I didn't look that closely.

On the high street there seemed to be a bit of a price war going on:

Price War

See how the shop on the left has not only undercut the shop on the right by a whole penny, but it's brazenly launched a half price sale to boot! Although I may never find out how they manage to sell things for forty nine and a half pence.

But believe it or not, I hadn't gone to Hudds for its shops. I'd gone for... music! Four Day Hombre were playing at a newish venue, Bar 1Twenty. I'll leave it to your imagination and maths skills to determine how much better it must be than York's Bar 38 (the answer's 82). It's a nice little place - lots of big leather sofas, friendly people and it serves what is rapidly becoming one of my favourite beers, Kronenberg Blanc. It's like a fruitier Hoegarden - the stuff really is gorgeous.

The 'Bre were doing a three piece acoustic set. It was the second time I'd gone to see them in a place that wasn't my home town within a space of four days which I think makes me an official scary stalker. Fun!

Four Day Hombre at Bar 1 Twenty

They sounded bloody brilliant. They manage to be really loud when they're acoustic too. I like that. The crowd however was really really quiet - during the quiet bits of songs there was not a single person talking, something which I think is really unusual. I'll put this down to the quality of the music rather than one of those spells which stop people speaking like what they had in Buffy once.

2 comments:

Bertworld said...

not had many Kronenbourg Blanc's. I had one once which tasted rank, but could have been the particular pub, almost tasted of detergent, may have been badly cleaned pubs. Will have to try again, especially as not one had on my beer challenge

Just said...

love the photo of those shops! Hilarious. I miss the £1 shops up north - they just don't seem to have them down in London...