Tuesday, July 05, 2005

I'm wet for you

I had that old choice when I left for work this morning: Sunglasses... or... Umbrella. Since it was a lovely day, I went for sunglasses. Mistake. I got very wet on the way home.

DSC00111

Wouldn't mind so much if I'd had a coat. But still, you've gotta smile... :-)

Incidentally, did I mention that it's officially Post A Picture Of Me Each Day Week?

I might have missed the rain if I'd left work when I intended, but I had an hour long meeting at half four. That then went on for two and a half hours. We were like the only people on the floor by six o'clock, so where does the little cleaner man decide to start using his very noisy vacuum cleaner? Yep, right by our meeting table. He could have done anywhere else on the floor - it's a huge floor. But he has do it RIGHT BY US. Really bloody irritating.

Surely it isn't beyond the wit of man to invent a silent vacuum cleaner? It should be easy. Sound can't even travel in a vacuum, so I don't see why it can't just be trapped inside somewhere. Come on, Mr Dyson you clever bloke. Stop with your ludicrous colour schemes and invent the first silent vacuum cleaner! You'll make millions. People could clean their carpets after midnight without fear of raising the heckles of their neighbours. Mothers could do the living room whilst their small boychild happily watches telly at the same time. And perverts could do whatever it is that perverts do with vacuum cleaners (*) in an adjacent room to their unsuspecting wives.

I think this is a plan with legs. If I had any engineering knowledge I'd go and build one right now in my shed. Ok, I know I don't have a shed. And even if I did, I wouldn't go to it now because it's still raining. But just pretend with me.

(*) I think they clean their boots.

2 comments:

Agent 31 said...

Dyson worked fourteen years on that vacuum he's got, and the best he could come up with was a low roar. Perhaps the problem is that, instead of fighting the sound, the engineers could embrace it and channel it.

Instead of just the churning sound, they could pass the air through a series of carved pipes and tubes, so the noise would be replaced by a series of complex woodwind melodies?

Lint said...

Wow, you could play in an orchestra and clean the orchestra pit simultaneously! That'd be really... time-saving.