Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Wicker takes it all

I was listening to Pulp's last album yesterday, We Love Life. There's a song on there called Wickerman about a road called The Wicker in Sheffield, and possibly also a man who hangs about on it. I forget the details.

Part way through the song I noticed for the first time that there's a sample (or at least a cover) of part of a song I recognised. It was part of Willow's Song, a song which formed a memorable part of the film The Wicker Man. Do you see what they did there? They wrote a song about a man from The Wicker and put part of a song from a film about a man made of Wicker in the song about the man from the Wicker.

I'd never noticed this before, despite having had the album for five years or so. I like it when I find things I've never noticed before. It's like people have hidden special surprises in my life. Like the coins in Christmas Pudding, but all year round.

I'm sure I've said this before, but Willow's Song is great for two reasons:
1. It's a hauntingly beautiful song
2. Britt Ekland dances naked whilst singing it

But strangely, reason number 1 is the more compelling one.

1 comment:

Chip said...

Oddly and synchronicitously (to make up a word) I watched The Wicker Man on Sunday evening.