Monday, January 16, 2006

A Tale Of Two Cities

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself this evening, since I've just done my first ever five mile run. And it didn't kill me - I could maybe have done at least another mile. I didn't want to push things too far today though - I was wearing inappropriate sockwear since my running socks were all in the wash.

I saw way more other runners than normal too. Maybe people are finally getting in to those new year fitness regimes, the ones that normally last for a week or so before being confined to the sports-locker of history for another year.

My own running regime is about on target, whilst my fund-raising is well above my most optimistic expectations. I've raised £405 already and we're barely two weeks in to the year. Now, this amount does include a few ridiculously generous amounts but even so it's a great incentive for me to get on and actually do this silly task I've set myself (only 479 miles to go!).

I have also discovered that the distance from the centre of Paris to the centre of York is almost exactly 500 miles (going via the Calais to Dover ferry). Hence we can pretend that on January 1st I was dropped, unwillingly, into the French capital and have ever since been finding my way home. Currently I'm on the A1 just outside (North?) of Paris. There are lots of French people around and they keep offering me baguettes.

But at least they're not all on strike and blocking the motorways. I should get to Calais at some point in early May.

No comments: