Sunday, January 22, 2006

On the extortionate price of things these days

I went out for a friend's birthday last night, and we ended up going to The Gallery. It seems like ages since I last went to a club, possibly because it is. They are still pretty rubbish, but never mind.

We'd aimed to get there before eleven in order to get in cheap but sadly this didn't happen and when we got there the queue was humongous. Right back to the York Dungeon. We had to wait. I half-heartedly suggested abandoning the whole thing and going home for a bottle of wine, but this suggestion was not taken up. Eventually the queue shrank to the extent that we were at the front of it. This was really exciting.

Yes, the anticipation was quite something.

Really somewhat thrilling.

And before we knew it (and about half an hour after we arrived in the queue) we were in. But not completely in, because first they have the gall to take money off you! They call it an entry fee. I call it Robbery! Eight pounds! Each! Do they know what I could buy for eight pounds? Four pizzas, that's what. Four! Eight pounds? Ouch!

I thought this price was a little on the high side.

But it gets worse. We put our cloaks in the cloak room, and despite them putting two on the same hangar, they charged an additional three pounds for this service. Just in case you have lost track, the bastards have now got eleven of my pounds and I haven't even got to the bar yet. Don't get me started on bar prices...

Now, maybe it's because I haven't been to a club for a while and this pricing is standard but it seems high. I remember when it was all fields...

No comments: