Tuesday, January 03, 2006

All new for 2006: The Run-a-thon 500

Back at the arse end of November last year, I started going out running. You're probably aware of this, I've mentioned it a few times.

Here I am, running on Christmas Day:

Xmas Run 2

You can see that I'm actually running - both feet have left the ground.

Last year I set myself 12 challenges, and like the Great Hero Hercules, I completed 10 of them (albeit his were different challenges mostly involving the harassment of wild animals). I could set another 12 this year, but I won't. I've built and demolished that particular sugar mountain. Instead, this year I will have just one challenge: The 2006 Run-a-thon 500.

The legendary Scottish Band The Proclaimers once boasted that they would walk 500 miles, just so that they could "fall down at your door". Idiots. Any fool can walk 500 miles. I'm going to surpass that. I'm going to run 500 miles. I will beat The Proclaimers. Not all at once though, that would be daft. I have the whole of 2006 to run this distance.

[Message to the smart-arsed out there. I am well aware that the Reed brothers then additionally said they "would walk 500 more" miles. Let's just pretend they didn't]

Now a whole year sounds like a long time. A year has 52 weeks. After allowing for at least a couple of weeks where I'll be out of the country on holidays, I will have to average around 10 miles a week for the year. Again this might not sound much but I reckon it will be quite challenging, especially given all the other crap I have on. (eg work). I'm going to have to get out there at least twice a week for the year, probably at least three times for the first few months. Even if its cold. Maybe even if its raining. Not if its icy and slippy though. I am not suicidal.

So 500 miles is a good target. Hopefully I'll beat it.

Now there is a secondary point to this. If I'm going to run a long way, I might as well do it for a good reason. Hence I have set up a page where you can sponsor me! All funds raised will go to Cancer Research (they'll probably just use them to make stupid armbands, but that's their choice). I've set a target for this of £500 - that's £1 for every mile I run. All major credit and debit cards accepted. You should be able to donate immediately or pledge an amount that will only be payable should I reach the target.

I'll even give a prize to whoever makes the biggest donation. Maybe a signed photo of me running or something like that. And as one final incentive, I'll match pound for pound the first donation that gets made (but only up to around £20 max - I don't want to get shafted by some rich dude).

So, the sponsor page is here - please help if you are able! I'll keep the sidebar and sponsor page updated with progress on miles run and money raised. I'll also post up some technical rules that I'll be following in the Run-a-thon 500 at some point the next few days.

The run starts here!

1 comment:

Lint said...

That'll be covered in the technical rules to follow. But broadly, map and string isn't far out. Just with better technology.