Wednesday, July 14, 2004

A review of a gig what I went to last night (11)

Blimey, no wonder I've been miserable. Looks like I haven't been to a proper gig since April 26.

Last night I went to see Four Day Hombre at Fibbers. Support was from Battle of the Bands winners, Sixty6. I still think they sound like Feeder, but now I'm starting to recognise many of the songs, so because they are familiar it feels like a set of Feeder cover versions. Which it is not.

A few points about Fibbers itself - it had run out of bitter last night - must have been due to The Fall playing two nights in a row on the previous nights. So no TT Landlord for me. More interestingly, after going there for three years, the place now has cloakroom facilities! Not sure exactly where, as I didn't read more than the top of the sign ("Cloakroom, 50p").

FDH were great - love the new songs, and the old ones still sound magic. TFWITH didn't become Kate Bush at the end for the first time that I can remember, but there was a new cover (that they hinted may not be played again) - The Human League's "Don't you want me" which sounded excellent (and very different from the original).

The new single was out this week - I bought it last night. They are all numbered and I have no 63. Just think how excited that must make me. It's a wonder I slept.

So here's the return of the AR(SE) table - last night's gig plummeting a whole three places below FDH's last placement. Must try harder people!

3.5: Easyworld / Snow Patrol 1 / Graham Coxon / Keane
2.5: Four Day Hombre 1 / Snow Patrol 2
2.0: Delays / Athlete
1.5: The Ordinary Boys
1.0: The Open / Jonathan Richman / Four Day Hombre 2

Next gig: Probably Dawn of the Replicants next week.

No comments: